Sunday, November 18, 2007

Catastrophe.

So there I am, knitting blithely along on my Mystic Waters, la di da, this is nice easy knitting, as long as I can figure out how to keep my pattern propped up...

At row 123, I felt something weird a bit down in my knitting. Oh, it's a dropped stitch. No... It's... one, two, three, four dropped stitches. But... I have the right stitch count here. I must have dropped them out of decreases further down.

Having blithely told people over and over that all you have to do is drop down the offending section and reknit it, I decided to do this thing myself. Apparently I'm better at giving advice than at actually knitting (those who can't do, teach?), and I just can't seem to fix it at all. Perhaps it's because it's way over on an edge, so I'm not just dropping stitches, but I'm also creating them as I pick it back up.

I'm about this close to just ripping the entire thing out and starting over -- I can't even find a proper non-patterned row somewhere further down to put a lifeline in, so I'd have to rip the entire thing all at once.

This, of course, is what I get for the hubris of alpaca laceweight on Addi Turbos, and chobbling off all my fingernails so I can't use them to pull my stitches into proper decreases. I think I'm going to give this one more try (I'll probably have to rip back the entire corner and then try to rebuild the whole thing), and then just rip the entire business and start over again after the holiday.