Friday, November 9, 2007

Phew...

The log cabin is almost finished. It's off the needles, but it still needs to have its ends woven in. It's already been claimed by S. and Grace the cat as their new mutual favorite thing in the house (including both me and TG). Fortunately, I was smart enough to weave in most of the ends as I went, so I've only got four or so, and I'll do that as soon as I get around to being in a finishing kind of mood (or I get tired of seeing something not-quite-finished being dragged around the house by various friends and pets).

Instead of casting on for Mystic Waters, though, I decided I needed something quick and rewarding to work on as a present for having finished two of my three big projects, so I now have a Shedir on the needles for my friend A. TG bought me some Calmer when we went and looked at the Eco+ for the Hemlock Ring blanket, so I'll have a couple of projects coming up in non-substituted yarn.

I'm not loving the Calmer -- it's splitty beyond belief, and I still have my doubts about the stitch definition. I mean, I've seen the original in the Knitty special issue, but mine doesn't seem to be doing that. Perhaps my gauge is off. But really, I'm hating trying to cable this stuff -- I don't use cable needles, so between the splitty and the slippery, it's kind of a pain. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure A. will love it, and since I have two balls, perhaps I'll make another one and be used to it by then. (And no, I never did actually learn to properly cable with a real needle -- I find it fiddly and actually more difficult than just figuring out how to not drop the stitches in the first place.)

It does feel good to have something I can make visible progress on in less than an hour, though!

No comments: