Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Grey is not my friend.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea, lo these many months ago when my last bout of startitis took over my brain, to start two grey projects at once.

I have these huge cones of grey wool I ordered from WEBS, you see, and I felt bad that I hadn't done anything with them, so I started knitting things from them. (Lots of things, actually -- I managed to finish two lace shawls before running into my current problem.)

I live in California, where there are two seasons -- the green season and the brown season. I started all these projects in the brown season, when it was beautiful and sunny almost every day, and the grey was just a soothing color that didn't require a lot of thought to knit with. Now, it is the green season, where the skies match my yarn and all the light is that weird cloud-light that leaves you wondering if it would be totally environmentally irresponsible to turn the lights on. It's kind of depressing to be knitting on grey things right now, when I want bright, beautiful colors to keep me cheered up. But I must persevere, in the name of cleaning up my knitting area(s).

My grey Pi shawl is nearing completion -- I've got one more repeat of my current pattern to go, and then I think I'm going to have to do at least a couple of repeats of the next one to balance it out. The top of the shawl has smaller, daintier patterns, so I'd feel weird just ending it with the big bold pattern I put in for the third patterned section. Also, I tend to like my shawls big, and I can't tell how big this one is yet. I think it's not quite big enough, though -- if I hold it up to my shoulders and try to stretch out the front (since it's a Pi-square rather than a proper Pi), it doesn't quite come down to my waist. I know that's not the same as a real wet blocking, but it gives me some idea, at least. Of course, since each row gets longer and longer, "nearing completion" feels more like the sort of pretty lie you tell yourself to finish a workout than it does an actual quality of the knitting. I'd put it down and let it hibernate, but since I'm knitting directly off the cone, I think that would get messy. Besides, I want my size 4 Addis back to use on something else.

My grey Miss Lambert's Veil from Victorian Lace Today, however, has been languishing by the comfy chair for the last four weeks, patiently waiting for me to get back to it. Much like the Pi, it's being knitted off a cone, so I can't just put it away somewhere, and I don't want to rip. I think when I'm done with the Pi, I'm going to have to move the Veil over by my TV-watching station, and try to figure something out for reading the pattern out of the book. Maybe I'll make a copy so I can put it on my clipboard like I've been doing with the Pi.

Oh, well. At least it's finally getting chilly enough that I won't feel silly working on my Log Cabin. Knitting Cascade 220 in the middle of the summer was a bit odd-feeling, although I know that if I want my huge Log Cabin to keep me warm when the real rains come, I have to knit during the dry season to have any reasonable hope of finishing it. I suspect that BC will steal it every time she comes over, though -- she feels the cold more than I do, and the Log Cabin is wonderfully squishy and warm. It's brought me a new respect for the humble garter stitch.

If I can finish the Pi and the Veil and the Log Cabin and the Wavy scarf, I can cast on for another non-travelling project. Despite what it may look like, I much prefer project monogamy (well, for values of monogamy that mean "one for at home and one for out-and-about, but given my preference for lace, I don't think that's unreasonable). I still have two travelling projects, but given how much KIP I've been doing recently, I'm not going to stress about it -- although I might stress about not having anything portable queued up to replace them.

Anyway, less chattering, and more going to take a shower and get ready for my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's time to fight with my husband about the lights in the house. He likes a cave. I don't.

But the grey on your needles sounds so much nicer.

(By the way, I popped over from Ravelry)