Thursday, October 18, 2007

No new knitting...

Really, I spent most of the last two days drooling over my cones of Zephyr - and the color card that came with them.

I suppose I did make almost 10 rows of progress on the grey Pi, which is something of an accomplishment when each row is getting up around 400 stitches. Those of you who've made Pi shawls can gasp in horror now -- I'm in the 48 ridges section, merrily heading towards the 96 ridges section. I expect to quit somewhere in the middle of that section, less because I'm happy at how big the thing's gotten and more because, well, I've been knitting it for something like three months and I'm just tired of it.

I'm using what is technically a weaving yarn, so it's very very fine. This may explain why I've had to knit so insanely many rows to get it to do what I want. It may also explain why the yarn smells funny. I think I'm going to have to wash it, although the alpaca I blocked at the same time as the last project I blocked in this yarn also smelled funny, so I didn't realize at the time there was anything I could do about it. The notion of dumping my wool into hot, soapy water and then swishing it around (which really reads like a recipe for felting) makes me very nervous, but we shall see.

As soon as I've knit another 8-bazillion rows, that is. My next increase row reads k95, yo, k1, yo, k95, inc center 271 st. to 573, k95, yo, k1, yo, k95. Sounds like ever so much fun, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Helen said...

Yes, plunging your wool into HOT soapy water would be a recipe for felting; you want to plunge it into WARM soapy water. And maybe not so much plunging as lowering gently and leaving to steep. The important thing is to avoid dramatic changes of temperature, so squeeze gently and then lower into clear water of roughly the same temperature.

I have two skeins of Zephyr, in a cool pale aqua and a hot cinnabar (I typed cimarron first, but that's something diferent) but I simply cannot decide what to make with them.

Aiglet said...

Ah, that does sound much more reasonable, thanks!

I've got *tons* of ideas about what to do with my Zephyr, mostly due to spending way too much time browsing the Ravelry free patterns database. Fortunately, it's reasonably priced, so I don't feel like I have to hoard it for something special -- I think I may have found my new go-to laceweight, especially since Knitpicks is discontinuing so many of their colors. (Although I have faith that they'll be replaced in the next update.)